Welcome!

This is the blog home of #kidlitart, a live Twitter chat Thursdays at 9:00 pm Eastern, for children's book illustrators, picture book authors, author/illustrators and friends. Check back weekly to read transcripts, comment on previous chats and suggest topics for upcoming chats.


Thursday, May 15, 2014

NKH- Interview #2

You see that lovely Spingtime banner up there? That was created by the lovely Jenny Woodward. 


What? You don't recognize her? How could you not know Jenny? She's a #kidlitart regular! She's....oooh. You might her know her more like this: 


 Is that better? Right, moving on. Here's a little bit about the adorable art featured on the blog/
 
-What was your inspiration for the header?
 We have a lot of birds that live in/visit our backyard (when the squirrels aren’t chasing them off). I try to get outside in the mornings and watch them at the bird feeder we have close by. One morning there was a mama bird feeding her baby bird and that’s where the inspiration came from.
 
-What is your primary medium for the header?
Everything was done digitally in Photoshop using Kyle T Webster’s brush pack. Mostly I work in Photoshop using a Yiynova tablet but the banner was created with my laptop and mouse (what I had with me at the time).
 
-Are you currently working on any projects?
I’m currently doing some graphic design work and sketching ideas for the SCBWI Tomie dePaola prompt.
 
-Where can we find you online?
Website: (in the works)

-What are your favorite children's books?
There are sooo many! I’ll try to keep the list short :)
I’ll start with the book that got me into kidlit and back to drawing again- 
 
Children Make Terrible Pets by Peter Brown.
Mr. Tiger Goes Wild (really any book by Peter Brown)
Big Plans- Bob Shea/Lane Smith
Let’s Do Nothing- Tony Fucile
Tea Party Rules- Ame Dyckman/Keith Campbell
Can I Play too- Mo Willems
The Day the Crayons Quit- Drew Dewalt/Oliver Jeffers
 
- What's the best advice you've received from #kidlitart?
To keep drawing even you’re having a bad day and you think everything you draw is horrible. Some days I struggle to draw and might do 20 sketches and only have one that I end up liking...but it’s one more drawing I have than if I’d been too discouraged to start at all. When you’re really having a hard time then switch to something else whether it’s cooking, sculpting, reading etc. Sometimes you need that break to get the creativity flowing again.
 
I think the best thing about #kidlitart is that everyone is so kind and encouraging. You couldn’t ask for a better group of people. I always leave the chat feeling energized and ready to create. There’s lots of helpful information being shared, plus you get to connect with some extremely talented, genuinely nice people.
 
-Great! Any favorite #kidlitart topics?
My favorite chat so far has been the postcard critique. I loved seeing everyone’s artwork, their process and learning from the critiques. I’d like to see a topic on authors/illustrators and how they got started with picture books...what that process was like and what they learned after landing and completing their first book.
 
Thanks so much for your contribution, Jenny! We look forward to seeing more from you in the future. If you see Jenny online, be sure you thank her for the fabulous banner!
 
-Diandra

No comments:

Post a Comment